Tuesday

Twelve Years Ago


November 29
Another uneventful night watch... the only thing I encountered during my three hour shift was a tug boat pulling a barge. Since the moon was lighting up the water, from a distance it looked like the barge had military tanks on it... however I discovered that it was probably large tractor trucks. I got up at 9am and was briefed on all the commotion that occurred earlier this morning... a plane crashed and the coast guard were searching for survivors. I could see the orange zodiacs bouncing around near the coastline. Reminded me of my days working for the Guard back in Canada, how much I miss cruising at 40 knots. It was almost 10am and we were beginning to enter the channel into Ft. Lauderdale. It was like one BIG deja vu.
April 30, 1997... Aboard sailing vessel Ballotin, we crossed the Gulf Stream from Bimini Island, in the Bahamas over to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. We stayed at the Royale Palm Yacht Basin Marina... in the Dania Canal. Only 12 years later, I'm returning to the same port! I noticed some nice and improved cruise ships... docked in Port Everglades. We pulled into the the Dania Canal and noticed the depths starting to drop quickly. We tried contacting the Royale Palm Yacht Basin and then spotted a marina named Harbour Towne Marina... shouted to the dock master and pulled into their fuel dock. This might be our home for the next week... until the steering fluid pump and sail grommets are all fixed. The facilities are excellent... free breakfast, WiFi, showers and laundry! Later in the afternoon we went for a short walk to visit the marina I had stayed over a decade ago. I remembered it like it was yesterday. We had endured a tornado rip... and rented a gray car. Still can't believe I'm in the state of Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment