Sunday

Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach


November 21
My night watch was scheduled from 1am - 4am, and things were really nice until I noticed a large black and yellow buoy bouncing up and down just 10 feet to our starboard bow. I almost crapped my pants when we passed beside it. "Holy smokes" is what I yelled to myself. During the middle of the night, our destination plans changed from St-Augustine, to Amelia Island. At 6am, Wade turned the boat around, because we didn't want to enter St Marys Entrance, until we had first light. Once the sun started to rise, we proceeded to make our way between Georgia and the state of Florida. In the distance you could see the long sandy beaches of Fernandina. We wanted to anchor the boat at a mooring ball, but instead we noticed Wade and Diane's friends from Kingston aboard Witchcraft docked at the marina. That is what convinced us to stay for two nights at the marina. Diane docked Joana into our slip, for the very first time. She did an excellent job at bringing her in. The dock master gave us a tour of the facilities at Fernandina Harbor Marina, and I quickly bundled my shower bag and ran for a HOT shower! I took a Phil shower... which means
it's longer than 45 minutes. T'was good. For breakfast, Diane made us some square pancakes... they were delicious! Did I mention that this island is wonderful... it reminds me of Tofino and parts of Victoria, BC. We took a taxi to the grocery store called "Publix", everything was organic and things were much more pricey than "Piggly Wiggly's" found in NC. For dinner we walked up the streets and found a mexican restaurant called Pablo's Mexican Restaurant, we had fajitas and sangria's. Went for a short walk around the tourist shops and made it back to the boat at 6:30pm. I was exhausted and by 7:30pm I hit the hay! Sailors deserve their rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment